(429) EMERGING TRENDS IN THE CHURCH TODAY: JOHN MACARTHUR – SPIRITUAL FORMATION & CONTEMPLATIVE PRAYER
JOHN MACARTHUR: SPIRITUAL FORMATION & CONTEMPLATIVE PRAYER
I respect John MacArthur’s approach to teaching the Bible to equip saints to live a life dedicated to God. I don’t agree with him on every subject – Calvinism, Spiritual Gifts, Politics…..etc. But, again, his approach in actually viewing the Bible as God’s word (radical, isn’t it) is refreshing to hear and is becoming a rarity in mainstream Evangelicalism today.
In the following video, he brings up some concerns about the latest trends roaring through Christian churches today – CONTEMPLATIVE PRAYER, SPIRITUAL FORMATION, SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES, YOGA...etc.
- MacArthur states that it is “a lot of bunk……it is intuitive spirituality…..nonsense, but they throw Bible words at it….it is mysticism…”.
- Dangerous aspect is mysticism – “Assumes spiritual truth is somewhere inside of you intuitively” – but that is not true. It is outside of you (i.e. God’s word – the Bible) – external to our minds. We find truth in God’s word, not somewhere hidden inside of us.
- Spiritual Formation – churches offering dance classes to learn to get into the rhythm.
- “Dallas Willard & Richard confuse people because they use the name of Jesus and they talk about God and they use Bible verses”….etc.
- Deconstructing this type of teaching is important
- It is embedded itself in Christian colleges, organizations, churches….etc.