S-W-E-E-T – Part 2
(212-b) EMERGING TRENDS IN THE CHURCH TODAY
LEONARD SWEET – Part 2
In the 2009 release, A “Wonderful” Deception, former New Age follower, Warren B. Smith, exposes the “new spirituality” of Leonard Sweet. The following excerpt discusses Sweet’s “Quantum Spirituality”:
- While some Leonard Sweet defenders have argued that Sweet’s hybridized postmodern “New Light” apologetic flies right over the heads of “old light” “fundamentalist” types, the facts tell a much different story. What I learned in reading Quantum Spirituality is that Sweet is in the process of trying to transform biblical Christianity into a quantum/postmodern/New Light/New Age/New Spirituality. Without apology, Sweet writes that he is part of a “New Light movement” and he describes those he especially admires as “New Light leaders.”
Leonard Sweet thanks New Agers for helping him find the “New Light”:
From the Acknowledgements section of Leonard Sweet’s book Quantum Spirituality: “Those who have taught me how to catch the tail winds of energies whoosing from new spiritual jet streams are: ….Willis Harman.”
- I have followed those “New Light leaders” … “[S]ome of those who led [me] into new light are: … Matthew Fox, Richard Mouw, Rowan Williams.” Others that Leonard Sweet thanks include: Morton Kelsey, M. Scott Peck, Walter Bruggemann, Ken Wilber, Thomas Berry and many other New Agers.
Berit Kjos in “The Emerging Global Church” states –
- “The new focus is on unity — a world-wide oneness reflected in the growing union between the East and West. Leonard Sweet’s online book, Quantum Spirituality, sheds some revealing light of the envisioned global “church” for the 21st century. In his view, the offense of the cross has been replaced with a passion for interfaith peace and possibility-thinking. To illustrate this point, Dr. Sweet points to Thomas Merton, the popular Catholic author who popularized mysticism and died in Asia searching the depths of Tibetan Buddhism.“
Sweet’s New Age spills over –
- The first of these five untheorized observations is that New Light embodiment means to be “in connection” and ‘in-formation‘ with other Christians. Deeper feeling and higher relating go together. The church is fundamentally one being, one person, a comm-union whose cells are connected to one another within the information network called the Christ consciousness.” —Quantum Spirituality, P. 122
- “Energy-fire experiences take us into ourselves only that we might reach outside of ourselves. Metanoia is a de-centering experience of connected-ness and community. It is not an exercise in reciting what Jesus has done for me lately. Energy-fire ecstasy, more a buzz than a binge, takes us out of ourselves, literally. That is the meaning of the word ‘ecstatic.‘” —Quantum Spirituality, P. 93
- Note: This ecstasy Sweet speaks refers to the New Age ecstasy that occurs in an altered state of consciousness.
- The power of small groups is in their ability to develop the discipline to get people “in-phase” with the Christ consciousness and connected with one another. P. 147
- New Lights offer up themselves as the cosmions of a mind-of-Christ consciousness. As a cosmion incarnating the cells of a new body, New Lights will function as transitional vessels through which transforming energy can renew the divine image in the world, moving postmoderns from one state of embodiment to another. P. 48
WHAT is he talking about ?
- A surprisingly central feature of all the world’s religions is the language of light in communicating the divine and symbolizing the union of the human with the divine: Muhammed’s light-filled cave, Moses’ burning bush, Paul’s blinding light, Fox’s “inner light,” Krishna’s Lord of Light, Bohme’s light-filled cobbler shop, Plotinus’ fire experiences, Bodhisattvas with the flow of Kundalini’s fire erupting from their fontanelles, and so on.” P. 235
Sandy Simpson (cont’d from Part 1)
- “In the words of one of the greatest theologians of the twentieth century, Jesuit philosopher of religion/dogmatist Karl Rahner, “The Christian of tomorrow will be a mystic, one who has experienced something, or he will be nothing”(Leonard Sweet, Quantum Spirituality, p.76)
True Christians are not mystics. They need not be because they have the Holy Spirit and the Word to guide them. They are empowered with spiritual gifts and they know God. They don’t need to seek Him “mystically” because they already have Him. But it is true that so-called Christians of tomorrow will be mystics if Sweet has anything to say about it and if the churches do not avoid him as the Scripture clearly tells us to do with false teachers.
Ro 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
- “Austrian/American physicist Wolfgang Pauli perceived, are the traceable connections that exist between ourselves and others or objects, and the underlying holism of the uni-verse. Transcendent state of consciousness” (Leonard Sweet, Quantum Spirituality, p.234)
The universe created by God is wonderful and holds together by His power (Rev. 4:11). The state of consciousness that is in the world today is a state of delusion. If you want to stay connected to unbelievers in a false spiritual union, that is your choice. If you want to be connected to Christ then you will not be unequally yoked with them.
2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
- “If the church is to become a synergic space, it must first be Christianized. It must meet the ABCDE involutions of the “X Factor.” The ABCDE rule for synergic Christbody inter-connections and in-formation is as follows: Alterity, Bonding, Critical Mass, Dirt, Euphonics. The ABCDE involutions, when placed in a biblical framework, represent evolutionary steps to higher spirituality and the ecclesiastics of synergy”. The church must provide postmoderns with an alterity of rituals by which they can turn and tune to one another and feel connected to the cosmos. (Leonard Sweet, Quantum Spirituality, p. 137).
We are not here to “connect people to the cosmos”. We are here to connect people with Jesus Christ! “Alterity” is defined as “Otherness: the quality or state of being radically alien to the conscious self or a particular cultural orientation.” So we are now to bring people into esoteric mystical experiences in order for them to get close to God? That has nothing to do with Biblical Christianity and true Bible teachers ought to know this.
- “Mysticism begins in experience; it ends in theology”(Leonard Sweet, Quantum Spirituality, p.76).
Experience before doctrine leads to false experience, never to sound doctrine.
DAVID SPANGLER (New Ager quoted by Leonard Sweet)
David Spangler who Sweet favorably quotes also speaks of Lucifer as: “The true light of this great being can only be recognized when one’s own eyes can see with the light of the Christ, the light of the inner sun. Lucifer works within each of us to bring us to wholeness, and as we move into the New Age, which is the age of man’s wholeness, each of us is brought to that point which I term the Luciferic Initiation, the particular doorway through which the individual must pass if he is to come fully into the presence of his light and his wholeness. Lucifer comes to give us the final gift of wholeness. If we accept it, then he is free and we are free, that is the Luciferic Initiation. It is one that many people now, and in the days ahead, will be facing, for it is an initiation into the New Age. (David Spangler (quoted by Leonard Sweet), Reflections on the Christ, Findhorn Lecture Series, 3rd ed., 1981; p. 45)
This is one of the many New Agers that Sweet loves to read and quote. Lucifer is now bringing us closer to “wholeness”? That is the lie of Eden! This is straight ahead doctrines of demons.
Nothing else needs to be said. The facts speak for themselves.
—-> Follow Leonard Sweet at your own risk, the risk of your soul!